Thursday, October 19, 2017

PICTURE, QUOTE, MOVIE #23


WHAT MOVIE IS THIS LINE FROM? 

"Vodka is a luxury we have. Caviar is a luxury we have. Time is not."


WHAT MOVIE IS THIS?

It is a war movie based on the novel by James Michener. The movie was released in 1955, just one year after the book was published. The movie was a hit and got an Oscar for Best Special Effects. The producers had the full cooperation of the U.S. Navy which allowed the use of nineteen ships. The credits mention that the movie was made as a tribute to U.S. Navy pilots. The actors playing the husband and wife had an affair during the filming.

8 comments:

  1. If it's the movie I think it is, it came out in 1954, not 1955, according to IMDB ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Battleship Potemkin
    2. Enemy at the Gates
    3. The Bridges at Toko-Ri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this blog its very informative and useful for us.

    หนังเกาหลีใหม่

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been out of town so I didn't get a chance to "play" this round. I never would have gotten #1. I remember the quote from #2, but couldn't quite place the movie. Would have had to Google it. #3, I first thought it was going to be King Rat until you mentioned "playing husband and wife". Then I knew it was Bridges. I've read the book and like the movie, but I didn't remember that Michener wrote the book.

    This puzzle was very good! Thanks. I love these things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's one for you, or anyone, to answer (shouldn't be too difficult).

      What popular 1949 Broadway play and later movies of the same name set during WW 2 was based on a Pulitzer Prize-winning early post-war book by James Michener?

      Delete
  5. I had to cheat, look it up. My first guess was going to be Mr. Roberts, but I didn't know who wrote it. Tales From the South Pacific.

    ReplyDelete

Please fell free to comment. I would love to hear what you think and will respond.