Tuesday, January 21, 2020

PICTURE, QUOTE, MOVIE QUIZ #76


1.  What movie is the picture from?

2.  What movie is this quote from?

"Sir, I got lost on the way to college, sir."


3.  What movie is this?


  In some ways it is a dinosaur marking the end days of the epic old school war movies like “The Longest Day”.  Similar to that film, it features an all-star cast and tells the story from both the American and enemy perspectives.  Unlike “The Longest Day”, it is not based on a book by Cornelius Ryan and thus does not have Ryan’s deft blending of commanders and grunts roles.  The movie was a disappointment at the box office in spite of its revolutionary Sensurround technology that was supposed to make the audience “feel” the battle.  (It was one of only 4 movies made with this dead-end technology).
            

7 comments:

  1. My wild guesses:

    1. Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
    2. Stripes
    3. A Bridge Too Far

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1)Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
    2)Jarhead
    3)Midway

    I'll take this opportunity to thank you for the tremendous work you've accomplished on this blog. I discovered it 2 days ago and I couldn't help myself but read hundreds of articles in a row.

    I do not think you covered this movie here and I might be biased but you should definitly watch the most realistic war movie ever made (according to my armchair historian knowledge) which is "The 317th Platoon".

    Keep up the awesome work.

    Greetings from France.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your kind comments. I have seen "317th Platoon" and your comment made me realize I had not reviewed it. I am embarrassed by that and will rectify it soon. Check back to see it. If you are on Facebook, you might want to join my War Movie Lovers group.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Master and Commander

    Full Metal Jacket

    Midway

    ReplyDelete
  5. #2 is "Jarhead", although it sounds like something from "Full Metal Jacket".

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm thinking #3 is Battle of the Bulge (1965).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good guess, but no Sensurround in that one. The answer is Midway.

      Delete

Please fell free to comment. I would love to hear what you think and will respond.