Sunday, July 1, 2018

BEST SCI-FI WAR MOVIE TOURNAMENT



It's time for my annual war movie tournament.  This year I have decided to determine the best sci-fi war movie.  This means first I had to find 16 sci-fi movies that could even loosely be labeled war movies.  This turned out to be difficult.  In order to compare the movies they needed to have at least one battle in them.  I ended up having to use some movies that didn't have much of a battle.  Second, I determined what criteria they would be judged on.  Last, I had to watch all sixteen movies.  I had already seen most of them, but I had not focused on the war aspects.     The tournament is obviously my opinions, but is not just based on which movie I think is the best. I am usually surprised how my tournaments turn out. The categories can create a situation where the better movie does not always win. However, I think it will result in the best sci-fi WAR movie. If you don't like the result, just remember that it is just for fun. No wagering. Here are the matchups (the seeding is based on Rotten Tomatoes scores):

1 - Aliens
16 - Battle: Los Angeles

8 - Last Starfighter
9 - War of the Worlds

4 - Edge of Tomorrow
13 - Ender's Game

5 - Rogue One
12 - Attack of the Clones

2- Star Wars
15 - John Carter

7 - Return of the Jedi
10 - Pacific Rim

3 - War for the Planet of the Apes
14 - Independence Day

6 - Avatar
11 - Starship Troopers


Here are the categories:

Round 1

Plot
Strategy and Tactics
Weaponry
Special Effects

Round 2

Acting
Entertainment
Combat
Enemy

Round 3

Cliches
Sets
Dialogue
Creativity

Predictions?

1 comment:

  1. Aliens, duh.

    That I saw it new in the theater at 17 in no way biases my opinion.

    ReplyDelete

Please fell free to comment. I would love to hear what you think and will respond.