Monday, August 28, 2017

PICTURE, MOVIE, QUOTE #20



 WHAT MOVIE?  It is a biopic of the last years in the life of a famous German general. The movie was controversial because coming only six years after the war, it’s sympathetic portrayal of an enemy commander was greeted with anger by some critics and a number of veterans. One theory that has surfaced to explain the positive spin is the U.S. was in the Cold War and there was a need to show that there were good Germans. Interestingly, because of the criticisms, the same actors portrayal of the character several years later is less sympathetic.

QUOTE:  "The thing that's always worried me about being one of the few is the way we keep on getting fewer."

7 comments:

  1. I know the movies are talking about Rommel. Desert Fox and...and...can't remember the second.

    The quote is Richard Burton's character in The Longest Day.

    The picture, though, I don't have a clue about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hell's Angels?

    I cheated...I had to look up a list of his movies. I've never seen it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love research. I'm proud of you. Check out my review. It is #43 on the list of Greatest War Movies.

      Delete
  3. The quote is from "The Longest Day".

    ReplyDelete
  4. The second portrayal of Rommel by James Mason was in "The Desert Rats" (1953). In that one Mason gave the "Cultured Swine" characterization which was favored for German generals by some film makers of that period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His harsher portrayal was a direct result of criticism of the earlier portrayal.

      Delete

Please fell free to comment. I would love to hear what you think and will respond.