Monday, December 6, 2010

Ranking #81-100

I have now worked my way through the first twenty (actually 19 because I still have not seen "Dunkirk") on Military History's 100 Greatest War Movies.  Here is my reworking of the list (with the Military History rank in parentheses):

99 – Ben Hur (96)

98 - Foreign Correspondent (86)

97 - The Life and Times of Colonel Blimp (87)

96 - The Thin Red Line (100)

95 - Ballad of a Soldier (81)

94 - Guns of Navarone (93)

93 - Northwest Passage (97)

92 - Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo (98)

91 - They Were Expendable (99)

90 - Desert Rats (88)

89 - Battle of Britain (90)

88 - Midway (92)

87 - Manchurian Candidate (85)

86 - Sahara (83)

85 - A Walk in the Sun (82)

84 - A Bridge Too Far (94)

83 - Dr. Strangelove (84)

82 - Breaker Morant (91)

81 - Last of the Mohicans (95)

2 comments:

  1. I thought you were going to kick some of them out to make some space for movies like Enemy at the Gates or A Midnight Clear, no? Looking at it like this they didn't even shift too much and you are very kind to The Battle of Britain, moving it up one step is proof of a very generous heart. Lol. Why can you not find Dunkirk, that can't be so hard? I should watch it, it's another John Mills movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My plan is to not start removing movies for a while. Perhaps when I get to #71. I do not think there is any doubt that I will find at least ten movies better than "The Thin Red Line", for instance. "Dunkirk" is not on Amazon, or Netflix, or downloadable (at least that I would risk). John Mills sure appeared in a lot of WWII movies!

    ReplyDelete

Please fell free to comment. I would love to hear what you think and will respond.